Goals: Brodziak (5,6)
My Thoughts on Tonight's Game:
- It took the Blues 6 minutes to manage their first shot on goal. Their second one didn't come until 9 minutes into the period on their first power play of the game. They would go on to have 4 power plays in the game, yet they failed to produce a goal in any of them.
- Here's my solution for a faster start. Put a line out there of Upshall, Brodziak and Thorburn to start the game and let them just go after the puck as hard and fast as they can. Maybe that would get the other guys a little more fired up. It seems like Schwartz always has the energy. Maybe make everyone else eat what he eats?!
- The Power play and penalty kill are definitely "head-scratchers". According to John Kelly and Darren Pang, the spots on the power play are now up for grabs. You have to earn your way onto the power play. I'm sure the coaching staff and players will get it figured out eventually.
- I've been saying for quite a while, it seems that when it comes down to a tight game, special teams is going to win or lose games for you. Since our PP and PK have ranked in the bottom of the league all season so far, it's proving to be correct. We've lost some close games when we have failed to score on the power play and failed to kill off penalties.
- Tarasenko and Schwartz had a 2 on 1 rush later in the first period where Vladi's shot beat the goalie but went off the crossbar. Had that goal gone in and tied the game, maybe the result would have been different.
- The Ducks scored very quickly in the second while the Blues were still a man short, and then went up 3-0 a couple of minutes later.
- I think Coach Yeo used the word "desperate" in his post game. The Ducks did play as if they were more desperate to win the game. They had lost 4 in a row prior to this game and you know how mean ducks are when you get them backed into a corner. (Actually, this analogy would have been better suited for a game with Arizona, Boston, Florida or Nashville but I thought maybe a little humor was needed)
- The Blues did a good job killing off a 4 minute penalty in the second period. Brodziak had another good short-handed scoring chance due to some good forechecking.
- Schwartz had a couple of good chances in the 2nd also. We just couldn't put the puck in the net. We did outshoot them 39-30.
- Anaheim blocked 21 shots to our 12.
- Brodziak scored twice late in the 3rd but it was too little, too late.
- Something I've noticed and I heard former Blue, Jamie Rivers say about Parayko, but I've noticed it with Dunn now as well. He said, "Instead of thinking that his shot from the point has to go through the back of the net, he needs to move his feet and just make sure his shot gets on net." A lot of those big slap shots are getting blocked and not getting to the net. Getting them to the net is going to create more rebounds and scoring chances.
- One more thought on the power play. Since we are so good at 5 on 5, why don't we play the power play as if the other team isn't a man down. Why change anything? Just keep playing our game. Just a thought.
#AllTogetherNowStL #LGB #SpreadArisLight